Global Environment Facility (GEF) / United Nations Development Programme(UNDP) and Ministry of Climate Change(GoP)
Sukkur and Shaheed Benazirabad
The project aims at promoting sustainable forest management in Pakistan and mitigation of climate change.It contributes to local livelihoods and offers environmental benefits in riverine forests for biodiversity conservation and securing forest ecosystem services.
United Nation Development Programme (UNDP) & Global Environment Facility (GEF) and being implemented by Ministry of Climate Change in Sindh Province through Sindh Forest Department for providing fruit tree plants to establish fruit orchards at household level. Business Development groups and Community Instiuations (CO/VO/LSO) networks of SRSO will be mobilized and provide necessary technical assistance to achieve the desired goal of raising fruit orchards at household level to diversify income means of local communities of District Sukkur and Shaheed Benazir Abad riverine forest landscapes.
- Awareness campaigns will be conducted on the negative impact of deforestation, misuse of natural resources and the importance of environmental conservation and sustainability.
- Community will be mobilized to prepare land for planting purpose in order to achieve the desired goal of planting fruit trees in target project landscapes.
- SRSO will ensure proper nurturing of saplings by providing adequate watering and also protection of plants through fencing.
- Community workshops will be organized before distribution of fruit trees plants to impart knowledge about raising and maintenance of fruit orchards and their role in generating additional income for households.
- Sindh forest department will provided 150,000 fruit trees plants like Lemon, Jambul, jujube, Grewia asiatica(falsa) and Guava in target areas through community Instiuations.
- Sindh Forest Department will periodically visit and extend technical support for raising and subsequent maintenance of fruit tree plants.